Viscotears liquid eye gel is used to make your eyes more comfortable when they feel dry. It is especially effective on sore, burning, irritated and dry eyes. This eye drop contains the active ingredient Carbomer. Carbomer is a synthetic polymer that forms a viscous eye gel. It produces a transparent, lubricating and moistening film on the surface of the eye and is used as artificial tears.
Known as ‘artificial tears', Viscotears cures dry eye conditions including keratoconjunctivitis sicca by clinging to the surface of the eye and therefore it does not wash out of the eye as quickly as some other lubricating eye drops.
Dosage - Unless otherwise stated by your doctor or pharmacist, the usual dosage of Viscotears Liquid Gel is:
- Adults (including the elderly): One drop in each affected eye, three or four times a day.
- Children: Viscotears Liquid Gel should only be used if prescribed by a doctor.
- Always wash your hands before applying Viscotears Liquid Gel.
- If you wear contact lenses, remove them before using the eye drops and do not replace for at least 30 minutes.
- Hold the tube vertically.
- Tilt your head backwards
- Rest one hand on your cheek and gently pull down your lower eye lid.
- Look upwards.
- Insert one drop by squeezing the tube gently
- Blink a few times to spread the liquid gel evenly over your eye.
- Wipe away any excess gel from around the eyelids.
- Repeat for your other eye if required.
Do not touch your eye or the surrounding area with the tip of the dropper. Viscotears Liquid Gel is not to be administered by multiple users.
Always read all product packaging and labels prior to use.
Viscotears Liquid Gel is not to be used if:
- You think you may be allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Not to be administered in children unless prescribed to do so by a doctor.
Things to consider before starting to use Viscotears Liquid Gel:
- If you wear contact lenses you should take these out before you put the drops in your eyes. You should not put the lenses back in for at least 30 minutes.
- Talk to your doctor before you start to use Viscotears liquid gel if you have problems with your eyes apart from sore or dry eyes.
- If you are you using any other eye drops, you should normally wait 5 minutes between treatments. Viscotears liquid gel should always be the last of the eye drops used. However, ensure that you consult your doctor or pharmacist before use.
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding discuss whether you should use Viscotears liquid gel with your doctor.
Active ingredients within Viscotears Liquid Gel:
- Carbomer (polyacrylic acid) 0.2 mg/g.
Inactive ingredients within Viscotears Liquid Gel:
- Cetrimide (as a preservative), sorbitol, sodium hydroxide and water.